Thanks for your interest in supporting the shelter through volunteering! We look forward to having you join our volunteer team.
*WE DO NOT SIGN OFF FOR COURT-ORDERED REQUIRED COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS!*
Please visit www.volunteerfoxcities.org for information on where you can find volunteering opportunities to fulfill any Community Service requirements.
Once you have submitted an application and have been approved to join our Volunteer program, we will schedule an Orientation/Tour with you. Our orientations are given in small groups and are lead by our Volunteer Coordinator. After you have have committed 15 hours or 30 days of time to us you will receive a volunteer t-shirt to wear while you volunteer, additional t-shirts may be purchased if desired.
- All positions require a three month commitment, serving a minimum of 4 hours each month. If you go inactive for three consecutive months within the first 6 months of volunteering you will be ineligible to return to the program for one year.
- All Volunteers must have a valid email address. This will be used to communicate scheduling needs, updates and all other necessary information, as well as how you will sign up for volunteer shifts in our system.
- Volunteers must be able to read and understand all policies and procedures, follow all shelter rules and complete all duties of their role independently. We may require that another individual comes to assist any volunteer who is unable to perform activities on their own.
- All volunteers must be 18 years old to be an FVHA Adult Volunteer. For those between the ages of 13-17, please visit the Junior Opportunities page.
Volunteer Positions Currently Available:
– Front Desk Assistant: Welcome guests and friends to the shelter. Assist the front desk with clerical work and phones during open hours.
– Dog Walking & Enrichment: Walk dogs during designated hours, work alongside staff on dog enrichment.
– Cat Cleaning: Cleaning of our social rooms is offered from 7am – 9am every day of the week.
– Cat Socialization: socialization can be done with our cats during our open hours- gentle socialization is very beneficial for some of our shyer cats.
– Shelter Maintenance: Assistance with our daily dishes and laundry
Step 1: Complete and submit your volunteer application!
Submit application here: Adult Volunteer Application
Step 2: Attend a new volunteer orientation. Our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you via email to schedule this with you.
Other volunteer opportunities will become available on an as-needed basis, so check back often if none of these activities are of interest to you! You are welcome to fill out a Volunteer Application to be processed at another time, but please note that our Volunteer Coordinator will not be processing applications for those interested in activities that are not a priority for us at this time, and therefore you will likely not get a response right away.
If you have any questions or concerns involving volunteering please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fox Valley Humane Association is thrilled to offer a volunteer opportunity for teens ages 13-17 years old. The Junior Volunteer program offers responsible and energetic youth a chance to learn new skills and enhance their dedication to animal welfare. This program will allow these volunteers to make a difference in the lives of the animals at FVHA.
*We do not sign off for court-ordered community service requirements. If you wish to be signed off for school required volunteer hours this must first be approved by our Volunteer Coordinator.*
- Junior Volunteers must be between 13-17 years old.
- Junior Volunteers aged 16-17 are able to volunteer with or without parental supervision in Shelter Maintenance, as long as the proper consent forms have been signed in person by the parent/guardian. The parent/guardian will be required to attend Volunteer Orientation with the Junior Volunteer as well. Please note that the parent/guardian will be held responsible for the actions and behavior of the Junior Volunteer while visiting the Fox Valley Humane Association. For Cat Cleaning & Socialization a Junior Volunteer (16-17) must be accompanied by a parent/guardian at all times an animal is present.
- Consent and supervision is required at all times for Junior Volunteers aged 13-15.
- An Adult Volunteer application will also need to be submitted for those accompanying Junior Volunteers aged 13-15 or the Jr. application will not be processed.
Junior Volunteer Positions:
- Shelter Maintenance: Laundry and Dishes
- Cat Cleaning & Socialization: Must be done with an adult present until 18 years of age
We are always welcome to new ideas or projects the Junior Volunteers are interested in. If you have suggestions, please let us know.
In order to attend orientation, applications must be submitted and approved by the Volunteer Coordinator at least ONE WEEK prior to orientation.
Complete and submit the application below:
We currently are not offering any group volunteering activities at this time. Our hope is to offer these opportunities again in the future, so please check back soon!
There is an incredible need for foster homes for dogs in the Fox Valley area, especially dogs who don’t do well in a shelter environment or need one-on-one training. The love and individualized care a dog gets from a foster home environment greatly increase their adoptability. Our goal is to be able to recruit, train and support foster families for FVHA’s dogs in need of individualized care. In order to become a foster, we will do a background check and a home check to assure your home is suitable for a foster dog.
To Get Started:
Step 1: Complete an application online. You may also download the application.
Step 2: Set up a training session with a foster care coordinator.
The FVHA foster care program is crucial for rehabilitating and caring for animals that are not yet ready for adoption. During their time with you, the animals will be prepared for their permanent placement when they come back to the shelter.
Kittens are generally 2-10 weeks depending on their age range. You can plan on spending up to 8 hours a day on your fosters; the younger they are, the more attention they will need. Foster parents need to be patient and be able to provide and stable constant routine for their foster “children” as they work through their various needs.
Foster families provide a warm and caring home for our animals while they grow and become more confident. Being a foster can be one of the most difficult but rewarding volunteer experiences, and we are always here to share those with you.
Step 1: Complete an online foster application. You may also download the application.
Step 2: Meet with the foster care coordinator.